About Inclusive Leadership
Research strongly supports the claim that businesses that handle diversity positively and inclusively enjoy a ‘diversity premium’, because, in the context of inclusive leadership and inclusive culture Diversity Trumps Ability.
That is because…
- Inclusive leadership is leadership capable of balancing the forces of commonality and difference
- In having a dual focus, common purpose and embracing diversity; it manages to bring the best out of people
- Inclusive leaders also recognise that neither diversity nor inclusion is fully possible without establishing equality of opportunity, transparency and fairness
But they go further…
- They create the positive conditions under which people who are both cognitively and identity diverse can work together effectively for the benefit of the team and the business
- Leadership and teams that cements common purpose whilst recognising individual qualities fosters and ‘team citizenship’
- An inclusive, team, characterised by trust and goodwill develops the creative edge which a diversity of styles, perspectives, knowledge, background, qualities and experience can generate
- These characteristics that arise when freed from the shackles of negative triggers, barriers, insults and glass ceilings
‘Belongingness + Uniqueness = Inclusion’
- Too much focus on diversity can lead to an over-emphasis on difference, leading to alienation and stereotyping
- Too much focus on commonality can stifle innovation, and de-value different perspectives
- The inclusive leader understands, and can act upon, the strategic value of diversity to the business by ensuring people are both highly valued and personally accountable.
Our inclusive leadership programmes will help you foster leadership teams and individuals who can confidently promote inclusion in your business