Recognise & overcome unconscious bias: understand the implicit associations we unwittingly make
Recognise the benefits of avoiding Stereotype Anxiety
Like the part of an iceberg below the waterline, unconscious bias helps to support our view of reality, but can also wreck our best attempts at ‘sailing through’ individual or collective improvement. When we try, individually or collectively, to improve our diversity & equality performance we often have to contend with unconscious bias (UB), which is a natural – and probably universal – human tendency.
Both UB and its related phenomenon, Stereotype Anxiety (SA) arise from implicit associations. Much of how we feel, think and act arise from implicit associations and related emotions, built upon historical data we have unwittingly absorbed throughout our lives.
About the Equality Academy Unconscious Bias workshops:
- Take into account the wealth of recent research in the areas of UB & SA
- Help to understand how implicit associations can foster bias toward or against particular groups of people, and if strong enough will affect our behaviour
- Guide you to overcome any negative implicit associations, as well as anxieties about how others will view us, which can impair our performance.
GET IN TOUCH
How can we help you?
Get the latest ED&I news
Free advice, with no obligation
Our range of programmes include:
- Introductory, Team and Executive workshops all integrate an awareness of unconscious processes
- Use the Implicitly® suite of implicit association (psychometric) tests to individuals, teams and (anonymously) across organisations
- Provide post-testing debrief and developmental coaching to for individuals and teams
- Consultancy to businesses that wish to undergo larger-scale anonymous testing
Upskill your people in the area of UB & SA and benefit:
UB and SA can seriously damage customer experience and outcomes. They can also play havoc with workplace relationships and culture, both in recruitment and selection processes and in the effective management & leadership of people. Our workshops work openly and clearly to shed light on our unconscious we can positively create a more inclusive working environment.
You may also be interested in our:
Inclusive Leadership Open Masterclass Fairness in Recruitment and Selection Gender Equality – Good Practice